So I guess I'm screwed...

So it looks like if I'm ever going to have a viable Lizardmen Army, I'm going to have to go with the Slaan. The problem is, I don't want to use a SLAAN!! I like my Old Blood!!! Either on the Carnie or on a Cold One, he's my favorite HQ choice.

My new list has an Engine, with it's 3 bound, automatic, un-dispellable spells, which really boosts my Skink Priest. I can make him into a cheap lvl 3 wizard which gives me 6 casting dice, 5 dispell dice, and 3 dispell scrolls. Also, I have a magical banner that makes all enemy wizards within 18" stupid. Isn't that enough anti magic??

8 Response to "So I guess I'm screwed..."

  1. Okay well let's take a minute to actually look at that. I don't think it's fair to say that your army is not viable or that you're screwed, but against certain armies you are going to have an uphill fight.
    That being said, for most armies magic isn't the make-or-break. It's really more of a nice to have. But not having a strong magic defense will allow certain armies (VC!!) to dictate the battle in ways that are often unpalatable.
    I say just play it against some strong magic lists (VC/TK) and see how it works for you. Just be aware that against a strong magic list you're not going to get much off offensively, and you're going to really have to pick and choose what you choose to dispel.
    I will say that after some thought, I don't think the stupidity banner is really all that useful. In my case I voluntarily put my lvl 4 sorceress on a cold one, the stupidity really isn't much of a risk on a ld9 model. Admittedly it IS a risk, it's just not a significant one.

    Are you planning on going to a tournament? If not, then it really doesn't matter if your list is "competitive" or not. For me, I just put in stuff that I think would be cool to play with.

    I agree with Calvin that if you play against magic heavy lists (VC or, some bitch-ass HE) you may want to tool up a list with a Slaan, but otherwise play what you like. Personally, from what I've seen, even if you tool up a list, you are going to be screwed. The VC and the HE games that I saw had so many casting dice that I doubt you'd be able to reliably stop the magic phase unless you put so much into dispell dice, that you hurt the rest of your list.

    For my Dorfs, I have 2 casting dice, 5 dispell dice, and 2 scrolls. That will have to do.

    Speaking from a VC standpoint you don't have too much to worry about. The non lord-level casters are lvl1 possibly lvl 2 and are toughness 4...2 wounds...not too hard to kill off. Cold-blooded helps a lot for fear tests and large stuff like steggies are hard for VC to deal with (wraiths is one way...but any magic weapon and they are a bit screwed).

    I say have the uber killy old blood on the carno then go mass magic defense. He can handle most if not all rank and file with a little flank help.

    Spamming skink priests with dispell scrolls and having the heavens lore to mass some rerolls is nice...then just chew through zombies/skellies/ghouls...really isn't hard...ask the DE player.

    Jwolf says:

    You're screwed without a Slaan in a unit of Temple Guard. Slaan have too much good stuff to not take them. Sorry, but having access to the best mages in the game and not taking them is handicaping yourself, in my opinion.

    I'm actually all for it.. please continue to leave the best mage in the game off the board completely.. don't even buy them..

    Why conform to how others play! Be your own man!

    Butt Head says:

    Damn.....

    Did the DE take on the VC? I missed that one...

    Yes there was a DE vs VC battle. I would have posted a batrep but I didn't want to rub salt in the wound after rolling the VC in three turns. ;)

Powered by Blogger