Ultramarine Special Characters

I've really been reading alot about the Ultramarine Special Characters and if they are worth the points. I've also been playing around with Armybuilder looking at what kind of army builds I can make with them. Heres my conclusion:


Marneus Augustus Calgar: (have the model - painted) The man, the myth, the legend. He's damn expensive, coming in at 250pt (265 if you out him in his Terminator armor), but he's very hard to kill (Eternal Warrior) and will crush almost anything he gets his dual powerfists on (rerolls all attempts to wound shooting and CC). What he gives to the whole army is the ability for all units to CHOOSE whether to pass or fail any Morale checks. Right now, I've got him set up with a 7 man unit of Honor Guard (VERY expensive), but what I plan on doing is buying some assault termies with thunder hammers and turning them loose in a Landraider...

Cato Sicarius: (have the model - halway painted) Calgar's twice removed step brother... Coming in at a mere 200pts, he's pretty decent in CC (has an Istant Death sword and FNP), he gives the army a leadership of 10 for all units (like in the old codex), the abilty to reroll the Seize the Initiative dice (meh...), and gives one Tac squad the ability to Counter-attack, Infiltrate, Scout, or Tank Hunters (Scout is the obvious choice for me..) Thinking about giving him a command squad and sticking them in a Razorback..

Varro Tigurius: (Don't have the model yet) Chief Libarian of librarians.... 230pts for this librarian, but he knows all the Psychic powers and can use 3 per turn, plus you can reroll all reserve rolls (meh...) I got no plans on using him anytime soon...

Ortan Cassius - Ultramarine Chaplin: (Have the model - painted) Sure, he's just a Chaplin, but the model is very cool looking and if you're going to take a Chappy without a jumppack, he's the obvious choice. He's only 125pts and comes with a master-crafted combi-flamer and FNP. I have a list saved with him as the leader joined to a unit of Vanguad Veterans in a Landraider (more fluffy than competitive)

Torias Telion - Scout Sergeant: (have the model partly painted) Well, if you're taking snipers, he's a pretty decent upgrade for 50pts, but SM snipers aren't what they used to be and I have no plans on taking them in any of my lists, even though I have the models for a full 10 man squad. Meh....

Antaro Chronus - Armory Sergeant - (have the model partly painted) 70 points for this vehicle upgrade that ignores Shaken and Stunned effects and gives the vehicle a BS of 5. And even if the vehicle explodes, he jumps out and starts fighting on foot. I've seen alot of people putting him in a predator, but I can only see putting him either an all Lascannon Predator or a Landraider, where the BS 5 will really put a hurting on someone. He'll find his way into one of my lists...

Call me stupid, but I really want to stick to "pure" Ultramarine lists and not mix in these other non-Ultramarine Special Characters...

4 Response to "Ultramarine Special Characters"

  1. I know where you can get Tigurius.

    (2x range Fear the darkness scares the poop out of me)

    I would think Chronus would do well in a Vindicator.

    With a LR, your Lascannons are twin linked, which will help with the misses, same for the Pre'd main gun. The thing is they can still miss with BS5 (trust me I did it multiple times with a TL LC on a Ven Dread at BoLScon).

    With the Vindicator, theres never an outright miss. Plus with BS5 you have about a 65% chance of dropping the pie plate with not drifting.

    Just some food for thought.

    Butt Head says:

    The problem I have with Vindicators.... Side armor of 11 and the Demo Cannon has a range of 24". If I'm going to pay the points for the Chronos upgrade, I'm going to put him in a vehicle that is alittle tougher, like a LR...

    I don't think you're stupid for avoiding non ultra characters in an ultra list...I've been saying how f***ing dumb the whole mix-n-match to taste special character deal was in the new codex. Oh I'm playing Scythes of the Emperor led by, hmm Fedro Dantor...ooh wait maybe Tarneus Halgar with a different set of gauntlets of Multrimar. Special characters that give certain fluff-friendly special effects should be strictly chapter based. I said it when the new SMurf codex came out and I stand by it.

Powered by Blogger