Dual bases for Daemons of Chaos


So, I didn't realize until I had already decided to give it a go with Daemons of Chaos, that they were the exact same models for Fantasy as for 40k.. That's pretty cool (and extremely surprising considering GW isn't known for letting you do that.. )


Really the only issue is that fantasy uses square bases, and 40k uses round bases. That issue can be complicated further by the fact that 40k bases are one inch in diameter, and fantasy bases are typically 20mm or 25mm square.. So, if you want to use the same models in both games (as opposed to buying the same models twice.. ) then you have to get clever about your bases..
I solved it this way;


1. I got some washers that are smaller around than both the 40k bases and the fantasy bases you’re going to use. With the Daemonettes I was in luck, they use 25mm bases so I could get a slightly larger washer than if I was stuck with 20mm bases. Also make sure the washers have as small a center hole as possible. The washers I’m using are 7/8 (0.87″) with a 7/32 (0.20″) inner hole, got them at Lowes for $3 or $4 for a hand full..
2. I then assembled the model as I wanted it and glued it to the top of one of the washers — trying very hard not to foul the hole in the washer.
3. I then drilled 4 itty bitty holes in the base and stuck in some of the tiny magnets I have. I mean it these things are small.. 0.05″ is small man.. 4 of them hold the washer down nicely, and are small enough to not cause clustering.. (Where a bunch of magnets jump to one another.. ) Drill all the way through the base with a drill bit slightly smaller than the magnet, and then enlarge it a bit by in and out movements.. This is a tiny hobby drill bit.. Once that’s done, I glued the magnets in from the underside so they wont go anywhere.
4. I then got a dowel from Walmarts hobby area that was the exact fit for the washers.. You can get a bag of like 20 of them for $0.89.. I drilled a whole in the direct center of the base and pushed the dowel through.. I had to be very careful not to split the base.. And I made sure to push the down through the hole a bit so that it touches the table the same time the edges of the base does. It helps with gluing later.
5. I then took the thinnest washer I had ( they are varying thicknesses for some odd reason ) and slid it down the dowel until to stuck to the magnets.. Put the dowel in a vice, and used a coping saw to cut the dowel at the washer. Once that was done I applied glue to the underside, again ensuring that nothing goes anywhere.
6. And that’s it.. Paint and flock it up.. When you flock the square base you want to make sure that you use an extra washer because it gets kinda nasty.. And when it dries you might have to do some minor surgery to get that washer off.. I had to carefully Xacto around the edges to free it from its flocky jail..
Click the image to see the results.. it works out nicely.. The 40k round bases snaps up in there and only requires a touch of flocking on the top of the dowel.. the fantasy base you see snaps down nicely too almost 100% hiding the washer..

8 Response to "Dual bases for Daemons of Chaos"

  1. Wow...maybe it just sounds very time-consuming. I guess it gives you another option for 40k too so kudos.

    I can't even paint existing models let alone forge multi-use bases in my spare time.

    There is all sorts of awesomesauce on that right there!

    Do you think you'll be able to make 100 or so bases (or however many you'll need for a whole DoC army)?

    You should get some pictures for your step-by-step and send it to BoLS. I bet they'd post it.

    Butt Head says:

    Pidge, you should do that for your Dorfs and also put magnets on thier arms for weapon swaps and make a 40k Squats army....

    I've heard about people doing that, but the armor doesn't look 40k-ish enough. And I think a bolter is about as tall as a WHFB dorf.

    The bases are really easy to make.. The only thing that's a pain is adding the 4 corners of flocking to the square bases.. I may forgo that for the time being..

    Could you put a "blank" washer on your square base when you flock the corners? That way you can just slap the glue on and dump it in the flock.

    Or flock the washer and square base at the same time?

    Yeah I tried both of those techniques and no matter what its painful..

    blah! I blame calvin...

Powered by Blogger