Black Legion

I have succumb to the ruinous powers of Chaos...

My 12yoa son has taken over my Ultramarine army and I'm still burnt out on my IG. I bought the SW codex, but there seems to be alot of people on that bandwagon. There are no Chaos players in our group (since DP never plays), so I bought the CSM codex and I really like the Black Legion. I think it will be fun to paint and even more fun to play. I like all the units (Except for Noise marines...can't get over the pink...). Here are the lists I had in mind and have start calculating my $ costs at the local 20% off retailer. I probably won't get started on this project until after the holidays, when I have more time...

HQ 1:
Chaos Sorcerer MoT
Bolt or Change
Winds of Chaos

HQ 2:
Demon Prince W/wings MoK

Elite 1: (Lord here)
4 Terminators with 3 combi-meltas, heavy flamer, and CG
1 Term-cham with PF

Troop 1:
9 Zerkers w/ Icon
1 Champ w/ PW
Rhino

Troop 2:
9 CSMs w/ 2 meltas and CG
1 Champ w/ PF

Troop 3:
9 CSMs w/ 2 meltas and CG
1 Champ w/ PF

Troop 4: (Sorcerer here)
8 Thousand Sons w/ Icon
1 Sorc w/ Wind of Chaos
Rhino EA

Heavy 1:
Defiler

Heavy 2:
3 Obilitirators

1964pts

Leaves me with 36pts left over. Beef up the Sorcerer or put marks on one of the regular space marines?

"Death to the worshipers of the False Emperor!" (just trying it out....)
)

6 Response to "Black Legion"

  1. I have heard that Warptime is better than Lash, have you looked into that? I have no idea what it is/does, I've just heard that Lash is OK, but not great. I mean with my army, I'd probably be OK with you lashing me towards you.

    Also, I'd be afraid of running a foot slogging force.

    Butt Head says:

    Well, Lash wouldn't be that great against you, but most other armies it would be better. Pulling units out of cover or pulling them into dangerous terrain just sounds mean... Or pulling you closer to the Thousand Sons so the Aspiring Sorcerer can change one of your guys into a chaos-spawn.

    I'm sick of Mech. There are too many Multi-meltas/meltas out there now. I'd rather let them have a chance at killing one model rather than killing/pinning multiple models.

    "I'm sick of Mech. There are too many Multi-meltas/meltas out there now."

    Says the guy with 6 meltas in list one :)

    I really don't know enough about CSM to critique the list. Everything I know is hearsay from other people. I have heard that possessed are pretty bad, and I have heard oblits are pretty good.

    What we need to do it get some games running so we can try out some of these lists.

    Jwolf says:

    Consider adding combi-meltas to a couple of Terminators.

    Hating Mech is one thing; totally footslogging is something else entirely. Rhinos are simply too efficient a means of getting your badasses close enough to do their badassery to turn them down. And you've got Thousand Sons and Plague Marines not in sacred numbers, so get them to their sacred numbers and buy Rhinos for the at least the Berserkers and Possessed - Khorne needs a lift. Considering that almost all of your units are fearless (or close enough) and durable, geting shot out of Rhinos is just not a reasonable concern.
    I love Khorne Possessed, and play them. I use their sacred number, but I'm that kind of geek. I think Possessed need significant numbers to be usable, as their job is so clearly jumping right into the teeth of the enemys' guns.
    Warptime is the power of choice for TS Sorcerors - they can use 2 Psychic Powers a turn, and having 3 rerollable attacks with a Force Weapon makes these guys a really nasty surprise for characters who get into combat with Tsons.

    Butt Head says:

    First question: What are the sacred numbers? I've read through the book three times and can't find it.

    I'm also thinking of tweeking the list some and just sticking with Khorne and Thousand sons. Putting the Zerkers and a squad of Khorne CSM in rhinos and leaving 2 units of 1k-sons on foot.

    I really like the Khorne DP, but am unsure of what to take as a 2nd HQ.

    Jwolf says:

    Slaanesh - 6
    Nurgle - 7
    Khorne - 8
    Tzeentch - 9

    You can spend all your points on Troops in CSM and have spent them well. Every troop choice is a good one.

Powered by Blogger