Mercenaries = SWs or CSMs

Like the title says, I want to make a army of Space Marine mercenaries, which I will name the Black Company. Black armor with Gunbolt Metal accents. The army will be themed after the Black Company books. They were some of my favorites growing up. The Black Company were a group of medieval/fantasy based mercenaries lead by powerful sorcerers.

The idea is to use a mixture of CSM, SW, and SM models to represent them, like the Iron Hand marines and the Legion of the Damned models. I was thinking of using the Death Watch Kill team models I have with their fancy shoulder pads to represent either Chosen CSM or SW Wolf Guard, that way I can use those great looking models that John gave me and actually use them without having to modify them..much..

I have both of the codexes and just can't decide which to base them from.

Any thoughts?

9 Response to "Mercenaries = SWs or CSMs"

  1. Jwolf says:

    Space Wolves fit the bill pretty well, imo. They have some crazy psychic powers, tons of characters and cool demi-characters (wolf guard), and a solid core to play from.

    Or if you didn't want to go with weak-ass loyalist marines you could always go with a 1k Sons themed-list. Since they are medieval/fantasy based mercenaries led by powerful sorcerers (who also happen to be long dead spirits inhabiting otherwise empty suits of power armor

    I like the concept. It sounds a bit like the Soul Drinkers. They still think the Emperor is great and stuff, they just think that the people currently running the Imperium are ass-hats. So they have broken away from the Imperium. Its a good premise and I thought they were going to go for a Robin Hood sorta theme with it, but they went a different way.

    As for CSM vs. SW, I am torn. I think that if you pigeonhole yourself into either codex some things aren't going to fit.

    If you go CSM, it will be hard to work things like Obliterators and possessed, but you have some nifty sorcerers to use. I think its all in how you "write it up" I can see a Terminator standing in for a Daemon or something, but I think you'd have a harder time with a defiler. I don't think you could just use a Dread, you'd have to use something with roughly the same foot print.

    I think if you went SWs it would be a bit easier. The only issue I see with the SW book is Thunderwolves, although I am 99% convinced that I'll be using bikes to represent them, or in my case, snowmobiles (yeehaw!).

    I think the Death Watch and Legion of the Damned looks really cool. I love the LotD dude with the heavy flamer!

    Personally, seeing as you are not planning to go to any more Cons (wuss)I would be fine with you using C:SM to throw a LotD squad in there if for no other reason than to use THAT model.

    I also think the DW shoulder pads would look awesome of they had been somehow defaced. As if your marines had scavanged the pads from a DW kill team sent to take out the leader.

    Anywho, sounds like fun. I'll play em.

    Jwolf says:

    You guys should find some time to do some Saturday tournaments at BFG and/or Dragon's Lair. Maybe cons will seem more fun after that, BH.

    The first year is always the hardest one at a new (decent) con, because the concentration of diehard tournament players is generally the highest. 2010 will be a more varied field, I expect.

    Not to mention, we will be having pairs tournaments for 40K and WFB on Friday this year, which you guys should definitely do.

    I'll definetly be there. Not sure if I'll bring my Space Pups or my new Dorfs, but I'll be going. But thats mainly because I'm the only one in our group that didn't get "butt hurt" this year. :)

    Butt Head says:

    "butt hurt?" I got raped... Anyways, I'll probably go with the Space Pups Codex for what I'm thinking of. Grey hunters are just too cool and the way you can build your HQ choices is awesome.

    Yeah, but at least the people were nice. I'm sure that most of them commented on your pretty mouth.

    If they are mercs or freelance or whatever...my guess is they wouldn't get the ATSKNF special rule since that comes from fanatical belief/devotion to the God-Emperor...if you aren't devoted then you gets none. Sounds a bit like the Red Corsairs. I'd use a mix mash of models but would use the CSM codex. Have the army led by two CSM sorcerers for fluff, but wouldn't get Imperial first run weapons (mercs not in the Adeptus Mechanicus pipeline...or use a wild space pup force with two rune priests (or whatever they use as psykers).

    Go for it!

    Butt Head says:

    Well, I've decided to go the CSM route. Just seems more fluffy and I'm basically going to use the Black legion list that I had posted in an earlier post (minus the DP)

Powered by Blogger